The Story of Rebirth: A Rainbow Baby

On August 22nd, it is National Rainbow Baby. On this day, mothers share their experiences with grief, infertility, and pregnancy loss. It’s also a time to celebrate the beauty of birth after a loss.

My story with infertility began three years ago. Three years of broken hopes and a battered soul. Six miscarriages. Two dilations and evacuations. Countless ultrasounds and doctor appointments. It was the life of infertility, after having two children. A journey that I never believed I would endure.

She wasn’t the first rainbow baby that I began to celebrate, but she’s that one that stayed. Every movement, flutter, and kicks were tempting faith. I couldn’t love her until she was in my arms. It was a cursed blessing, feeling her grow but unsure if she would stay. But, here she is. Iris is my rainbow child.

The term rainbow baby is one that is born after a tragic loss; such as miscarriages and stillbirths. They are the hope and sunshine after a disastrous storm. Every time, I call out her name, I celebrate her life. Her name rejoices her birth. Iris was the name of the Greek Goddess of the rainbows, also serving as a messenger to the gods. She is a reminder of the strength and joy the universe has to offer, after the chaotic darkness.

A rainbow baby doesn’t remove the pain from the past, but it allows us to distract ourself from it. They don’t erase the sorrow, the tears, and sadness. By having a rainbow baby, they shine so brightly, and it’s hard to look behind into the past.

It’s cliche, but she has completed my story as a mother.

Advertisements

27 Comments Add yours

1. MamaKatieBlogs says:

I’m so happy for you and your family! This story was so inspiring. ❤️

2. Catherine says:

Very beautiful. Thanks for writing about this – I suffered pregnancy loss as well and it’s the thing that has most shaped my life. <3

1. Mother Fluff says:

Catherine, I am so sorry for your loss. My heart aches for your pain, and it sends all the love that I can possibly send. Thank you for reading, and sharing your story with me.

3. What an amazing story. We are truly happy that you can share this art of your life with us. You are such a such a strong mom to endure such things life throws at you. Enjoy each others company and thank you for sharing.

1. Mother Fluff says:

We all have our own battles that make all of us warriors. It’s apart of life. Thank you for reading and sharing such kind words.

4. Kelly Martin says:

This is a beautiful story. Iris is a beautiful baby name.

Thank you so much!

5. fourcolu says:

a birth is a miracle. A birth is the continuation of life. Having a child changes your life forever. I remember being in the delivery room. I have never looked at life the same way. Thanks for a wonderful story and God bless you and the family. Jerry Godinho

1. Mother Fluff says:

Thank you for the kind words.

6. Lindsay Rae says:

I love the term rainbow baby it is such an uplifting and wonderful idea after such loss. Im so so happy for you and your family and the addition of your lovely rainbow baby!

1. Mother Fluff says:

Thank you so much! It is such a beautiful term!

7. This is something that I don’t think is talked about nearly enough! We should be understanding not only how often this happens, but celebrating the strength of women who have endured this and still continue on every day. I am so glad you shared this here, because it gives me the opportunity to get to know you more and your strength and courage inspire me!

1. Mother Fluff says:

I completely agree. It’s one of those taboo topics, that many of us endure, but uncomfortable to talk about because it’s sad. But, I try to find the silver lining in all things, and a rainbow baby is that!

8. Rupy says:

Such a n amazing story. You are a strong woman. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thank you for reading!

9. What a heartfelt and amazing story, you are a brave and amazing woman. I didn’t know about the term rainbow baby before.

1. Mother Fluff says:

Thank you for your kind words.

10. So glad you get to have a beautiful distraction that will lessen the pain of the loss. I wish you and the beautiful baby all the very best.

11. I too have a rainbow baby! They definitely help smooth out the pain and are such lights. I love the rainbow baby term. I wish people talking about miscarriages and loss more, I think it would help!

1. Mother Fluff says:

They are a wonderful distraction from the previous pain. And, I agree. It’s such a taboo topic.

12. Such a beautiful story and very heartfelt. I never heard about rainbow babies before so thanks for sharing this term and your story!

1. Mother Fluff says:

Thank you for reading and sharing your kind words.

13. Lyosha Varezhkina says:

That is such a great and important story, thank you for sharing it with us. I enjoy it a lot

1. Mother Fluff says:

14. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing this story.